Monday, April 18, 2011

Can Women and Men Just Be Friends?: Part I

For most of my life I have strongly argued that it is possible for women and men to just be friends. But the older I get, and the more complex romantic relationships have become, I’ll have to admit that I am wavering some.

For example, last weekend I had drinks with a good male friend of mine who I’ve known since high school. He’s a real guy’s guy, so we spent the evening at an Irish pub, where he was sporting his typical attire of a Yankee’s cap and a Guinness t-shirt. At some point over the course of the night we started into one of these “men are from Mars, women are from Venus” type conversations. His gripe: why do women read so much into things?

 He proceeded to tell me a story of a recent tiff he and his live-in girlfriend had. He had gone to a family wedding solo (no plus one was offered on the invite) and then to save money ended up crashing on the hotel room floor of a female childhood friend .Nothing happened., but yet, his girlfriend was pissed .She made him go through every detail of the night, questioned every other alternative he could have taken.

There’s a time in my life, where I would have been on his side. And even that night, there was a moment where I thought she was being a bit unreasonable. But I couldn’t bring myself to voice the words that I knew he wanted to hear.  

Instead I said this. “Of all the people in the world your girlfriend could be with, she chose you. And she’s happy. So from her perspective, it’s really hard for her to imagine a woman out there who knows you who wouldn’t want to choose you too.”

He took a slug of his beer and looked up at me, “You know, sometimes you make too much sense.”

No comments:

Post a Comment