Monday, February 28, 2011

Larger Than Life Crushes


Yesterday, I fell in love.

I don't know his real name, and well, we've never spoken, but these are just minor details. From the moment, I started reading about him in this week's New York Times Magazine, I knew that he was the guy for me.

He's 28 and brilliant. He does most of his work under the cloak of darkness. Landing in a slum or shantytown , he installs his supersized photographs and disappears before his presence is ever known. The fact that he goes by his initials and will only be photographed while wearing sunglasses and a hat just adds to the mystery.

Have I mentioned that this man is no stranger to danger?

Finishing up the article, I sighed to myself. How come I never meet men like JR? Artistic, brazen, sexy, socially-conscious lovers of travel.

The answer is clear. Maybe I do. Let's be honest, if I met JR five years ago, before the fame and the larger than life Times profile, I would have never gone for him. Between his Williamsburg-style clothing and his mile-long rap sheet, I would have been halfway out the door before he could say "street art."

Oops.

Well, at least I can still appreciate work created by the One Who Got Away.

No comments:

Post a Comment